11.27.2012

Granny Square Quilt Finished!


So I actually started and finished this quilt all in the same year! It's a quilting miracle. I absolutely love everything about it. I would make another one, I think it's so great.

Process wise, this quilt was fun to make. I cut tons of squares out of my scrap bin right off the bat. That made it a lot easier when I laid out the blocks to sew them together. I made 4 blocks at a time when I could work on them. I think it took me a few months to get them all done.

Mine is twin sized, which ended up being 48 blocks. Six block across, 8 down. I used the same dimensions for sashing, but just made my borders a bit wider (4.5 inches cut).

The original tutorial for the granny squares is here - on Blue Elephant Stitches. I actually used this tutorial to cut the edge triangles exactly the right size.





The quilting was done by my lovely and talented sister in law, Emily, of Emerson Quilting. I'd seen this pattern on flickr and asked her to recreate it. She did an excellent job, as always. I LOVE it so much!



I love this print I used for the binding. It's one of my favorite prints ever. I fussy cut it so that the it would look the same along all the edges and pieced it so the pattern would continue. It ended up meeting exactly in the right spot when I pieced the last seam to finish it.



And the backing, which I found on super sale somewhere. I pieced a little piece of that Heather Bailey print in there, but mostly it's the safety pins.


2 comments:

  1. OOh, I love this too! cute quilting design - and the binding fabric choice was inspired!

    ReplyDelete